Neighbors, Regrettably, our government has not been very clear or consistent in delivering guidance to citizens on what we should be doing in light of the growing coronavirus pandemic. Because testing for coronavirus has not yet been sufficient to tell us how many people have it and where they are congregated, our local governments and health boards are not in a position to give specific guidance, or take targeted actions like closing schools in affected areas, limiting social gatherings, etc. Seems some practical guidance is called for.

You may have heard the term “social distancing.” In short, it means limiting your contact with others so that the spread is slowed. Testing, health care asset allocation and social distancing keep the cases from spiking across the nation. This is relevant to “flatten the curve.” If we can spread out the period people get infected with this thing, then hospitals can handle the most serious cases. If infections spike, hospitals can’t. So what to do as good neighbors?

We’ve all heard that most people will not die from this. This is true. Not to put to fine a point on it, but most people who contracted the Spanish Flu didn’t die either.  Young people and those who are not immuno-compromised should mostly do just fine. But that’s not the point. When not-at-risk people spread it, those at risk get it. We healthy and young folks have a responsibility to others not to take this casually. Think of everyone you know who is in an at-risk category, I have plenty of friends, family, Riverview neighbors who are at risk. We must take precautions, not because this is likely to kill the majority of folks, but because we have a duty to those who are most vulnerable. So, what it is our civic duty, our neighborly duty, now?

First, call your vulnerable friends, family, and neighbors and let them know this this is serious enough to start taking precautions and you will help if you can. Some news channels aren’t presenting it as serious. Vulnerable folks may be getting misinformation. It’s not time to panic. It’s time to be smart. And as neighbors, we can be helpful. We should check on our neighbors, volunteer to pick up groceries, medications, pet supplies, if they are at risk. We can help keep them safe.

Second, we should all wash hands thoroughly (for 20 seconds) throughout the day, soap and water. A neighborhood pediatrician has told me it’s the 20 seconds, not the water temperature, that is important. This is helpful. Use hand sanitizer if you have it, but don’t stress if you don’t.

Third, start social distancing to the extent it is practical for you: limiting your large group social activities and keeping a distance of 6 feet from folks, if you can. This may change when we have better numbers in our own, specific areas, but for now, we have to assume this is just spreading around us. We and the organizers of the Tulsa Tough race in June will keep all this in mind as the situation may warrant. We don’t want to make it worse. That said, we shouldn’t run scared or panic. There are easy things we can do, and we should do them, like common sense things such as limit hand shaking, stop touching our eyes, nose and mouth, etc. It spreads usually from coughing and sneezing.

Fourth, if you have been in direct contact with someone who has it, or if you have a fever or display any flu like symptoms, go home from work and call your doctor or local health department for instructions. It does not mean you have it; but you don’t want to spread it around if you do. The Oklahoma Department of Health coronavirus hotline is 877-215-8336.

This is unnerving stuff, but we can band together to protect the most vulnerable among us. Let’s do this and be the good people and neighbors we know we are.

Rick Eagleton, President.

Friends, this is a reminder of our next gathering of neighbors at 6:00pm on March 11, 2020, at Baxters Interurban, 7th and Houston. Please check out my last message for more detail about our meeting. The below is an Agenda with Comments. Please note that we will have a guest speaker, Nathan Leigh of the Tulsa Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee about traffic calming, including Denver Avenue restoration. We appreciate his volunteering to spend time with us and welcome him.

Also, as you can see, we will officially launch our Sponsorship campaign for the VIP Tent at Cry Baby Hill. This will be a great way to support your neighborhood.

We look forward to seeing you.

March 11, 2020

1. Treasurer’s Report

2. Social Media: Remember, our website is; we post notices on Nextdoor Riverview and have a Facebook page named “Riverview Neighborhood Association Tulsa.” In the last few weeks, we established a Community Group on Facebook called “Riverview Neighborhood.” Please join and invite your friends. Hopefully, this will help us all exchange neighborhood news and information.

3. Traffic Calming Efforts (Denver Ave.): We will have a presentation by Nathan Leigh of The Tulsa Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) on traffic calming efforts around town, including Denver Avenue discussions, the City’s response, and possible solutions. We have already heard from volunteers in the neighborhood who are willing to work on this for us. We appreciate them.

4. Sign-ups for neighbors: We are now taking down names for people who may be interested in helping with certain projects, VIP Tent at Cry Baby Hill (June 14, 2020), Neighborhood Welcoming Committee, Historical Committee, and becoming neighborhood captains for the Alert Neighbors programs. We’ll pass out the lists. Please let us know who you are and where your interests lie. We’re also wondering if someone wants to start a neighborhood newsletter or volunteer to write columns for the Association Website.

5. New Meeting Spaces: We need volunteers to help find us new meeting spaces, so we can spread the wealth and get the good word out. We’ll ask for names of folks who live in apartment or condo complexes in our area; maybe they can get us a room for a meeting in the next few months.

6. VIP Tent at Tulsa Tough: We are thrilled to launch our sponsorship program for the VIP Tent at Tulsa Tough this year. We discussed this was coming in our January meeting; HERE WE GO!!! Below is a listing of Sponsorship options. Please look down the list and see what would be good for you or someone you know. Remember, if you sign up now, we’ll start giving you recognition. This is all for the good of the neighborhood, so we appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.  Sign up at the Association Meeting or get in touch with Rick Eagleton at 918-845-0637 /


I. PLATINUM RIVERVIEW CHAMPION (Sponsorship) — $3,000: There will be one and only one “Platinum Champion” sponsor of the 2020 Riverview VIP Tent. This entitles you to . . .

a. Exclusive “Key Spot” mention in all our promotional materials, including our Website, Facebook, Nextdoor Riverview, etc. before and after the race when we thank you for your support,
b. The largest, visible signage (a 4 ft. x 8ft. banner with your name or your organization’s name and logo) displayed prominently on the VIP tent (tent approximately 80’ by 20’),
c. 10 VIP tickets (the individual price last year was $35 each) for which your guests will receive all the BBQ they can eat and all the beer they can drink, while enjoying the race in the shade,
d. 10 custom Riverview Cowbells ($50 race day value),
e. 10 custom Riverview ballcaps ($250 race day value), and
f. Authorization to pass out mutually agreeable promotional items at our VIP tent.

II. GOLD RIVERVIEW CHAMPION (Sponsorships) — $1,500: You will be one of six “Gold Champion” sponsors of the 2020 Riverview VIP Tent, entitling you to . . .

a. Mention in place of honor in all our promotional materials, including our Website, Facebook, Nextdoor Riverview, etc. before and after the race when we thank you for your support,
b. Visible signage (a 3ft. by 5ft. banner with your name or your organization’s name and logo) displayed prominently on the VIP tent (tent approximately 80’ by 20’),
c. 5 VIP tickets (the individual price last year was $35 each) for which your guests will receive all the BBQ they can eat and all the beer they can drink, while enjoying the race in the shade,
d. 5 custom Riverview Cowbells ($25 race day value),
e. 5 custom Riverview ballcaps ($125 race day value), and
f. Authorization to pass out mutually agreeable promotional items at our VIP tent.

III. RIVERVIEW PATRON (Sponsorships) (Perfect for individual sponsors and supporters of the neighborhood) — $250. Join in the fun, support the neighborhood and receive . . .

a. Mention as supporter in all our promotional materials, including our Website, Facebook, and Nextdoor Riverview, etc. before and after the race when we thank you for your support,
b. 2 VIP Tickets (the individual price last year was $35 each) for which two guests will receive all the BBQ they can eat and all the beer they can drink, while enjoying the race in the shade,
c. 2 custom Riverview Cowbells ($10 race day value), and
d. 2 custom Riverview ballcaps ($50 race day value).

Friends of Riverview,

In January we had a terrific meeting; lots of new faces showed up with tons of great ideas. We want to build on their enthusiasm. We’ll continue our efforts at our next meeting at 6pm on March 11, 2020, at Baxters Interurban, 7th and Houston. Please get this on your calendars.

To give a bit of detail about what we discussed at the last meeting and our ongoing projects, I’m listing below some areas of emphasis for the Association:

1. Getting the good word out: With all the good work we have been endeavoring to do in the neighborhood, it was a constant message from those attending our January meeting that we’re not reaching people. Several said they just learned we’ve been having Association meetings.  I for one will redouble my efforts to get out early announcements for meetings posted and to re-post reminders on the website, Facebook and Nextdoor Riverview. We will also start putting signs up as a reminder of upcoming meetings. Please remember to tell your friends when there is a meeting.

As many of you know, we have a Facebook Page for the neighborhood (Riverview Neighborhood Association Tulsa.) To help neighbors better communicate with neighbors, we’ve just added a Community Group called “Riverview Neighborhood.” Many thanks to our Vice President, Sarah Hart, for this. We imagine this community group will facilitate neighbors connecting with each other and sharing topics of interest. You can join and add your friends, so please do.

A fabulous suggestion was that we rotate the meeting place to include meeting rooms at some of the apartment or condominium complexes in the neighborhood, so the word will get out to those folks. In fact, the reason I delayed a bit in scheduling this next meeting until now is that I’ve been trying to do just that. I think we’ll be more effective if we have a resident of these units help make the contact. Feel free to call if you think you can help us do that.

2. Traffic Calming: As everyone has no doubt observed, Denver Avenue is under construction from the BA to Riverside. We have been attending meetings with city personnel about the possibility of slowing down traffic and improving walkability (and pedestrian crossings). Several neighbors volunteered to help the Association do this, which we so very much appreciate. To help educate our neighbors, Nathan Leigh of The Tulsa Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee (TBAC) has graciously volunteered to make a presentation at our next meeting to help inform us of his group’s efforts in our neighborhood and around the city. Please come hear him on March 11th.

3. Historical Preservation Committee and Welcoming Committee: Several neighbors expressed an interest in volunteering to start working on gathering information about our neighborhood’s history, so we can beef up the website, letting others know about the wonderful, rich history of The Riverview Historic District. This will also coincide with amping up our Welcoming Committee. We so want to make sure folks who move into the neighborhood are made to feel welcome. If you want to help, please contact me or just show at the next meeting.

4. Alert Neighbors: We’re starting to gather more names of folks who would be willing to serve as Block Captains for our Alert Neighbors efforts (neighborhood watch). Please come and sign up. When we have enough Block Captains, we can move forward.

5. VIP Tent – Cry Baby Hill: Much has been done over the last couple of months to get ready for The Riverview VIP Tent at Cry Baby Hill on June 14, 2020. Most of you know about the cycling event in our neighborhood. This is the largest event we put on each year. I’ll get some more information to you about how you and your friends may purchase tickets, but what we’re most excited about is that this year, we are offering sponsorships to help individuals and organizations show support for the neighborhood. As with other sponsored events, these sponsorships will be at different levels. We’re pleased to offer just about everyone an opportunity to show their enthusiasm for Riverview. We’ll give a full presentation at the next meeting, so remember to get ready to dust off your cowbells!

More to come soon.

Rick Eagleton, President.

As we prepare for a new year in the Riverview Historic District, the Neighborhood Association is reflecting on priorities for this year. So we may try to be effective for you, we hope you will join us for our first 2020 Association meeting at 6:00pm, on January 22, 2020, at Baxter’s Interurban (7th and Houston); we could use your input.

Our focus is always to enhance the livability of our neighborhood. We hope to help neighbors get to know each other and to look out for each other. We can do this with social events and also by banding together to accomplish things which collectively we might do more effectively than alone, like addressing crime and safety, coordinating with the City, our Councilor, and the neighborhood liaison on matters of importance in the neighborhood, following trends affecting our neighborhood and taking action where appropriate, hosting candidate forums, and just promoting our neighborhood. True, some of these increase property values, which folks might be interested in, but we believe enhancing livability improves the quality of life for all of us, and that is our goal.

To best accomplish this goal, we hope to be able to call upon neighbors to volunteer in areas of their interests. The below list of things we’re trying to do also presents ways to volunteer for you:

1. We need to better communicate with neighbors: We need to find ways to get the word out to neighbors when there’s something to share. We really need some help with our social media and internet presence and in compiling neighborhood contact information. We have a website,, and that’s good, but if you’ve seen it, you may agree we’re missing some opportunities here. And while it’s true, Facebook’s fine, it may just be time to up our game. The phrase “OK Boomer” screams to mind. Could anyone help us do better? We could sure use you. I, for one, am not a bit resistant to fresh ideas. Pinkie promise.

2. Alert Neighbors: For those of you who have participated in the Board’s crime and safety discussions, we would like to implement the Alert Neighbors, neighborhood watch program. It’s a perfect fit for the neighborhood, but as a neighborhood with such a large, geographic footprint, we need participation to get this going. If you are willing to help, including learning about being a Block Captain, let us know. Tulsa Crime Stoppers will train us; we just need people who want to learn. We’d love to have you.

3. Welcoming committee: We believe that welcoming people to the neighborhood is one of the best ways to spread the word and make friends. Tulsans, and particularly those in our neighborhood, are just plain friendly. It’s who we are, and we all remember what it’s like to move into a new neighborhood. We’ve had a Welcoming Committee in the past and have heard some interest from folks to get one going again.  Can you help?

4. Neighborhood Newsletter: We think it would be great to get one started. We know of lots of folks who like to write (and gab); we imagine quite a few people would be interested in submitting on topics of interest.  Who knows, maybe businesses would want to get coupons in the hands of a whole bunch of us.  Anyone want to share recipes — I’d enjoy that. I’m thinking quarterly, maybe. As you can probably tell, I’m not sufficiently technologically savvy to put one together, but I’d guess we have lots of neighbors who might like that. I would be pleased to write a “President’s Column” for each newsletter. Any takers?

5. Social events:  For those who know me, I like parties.  I don’t hide it.  There are several events we’ve put on regularly, but we’d like to do more. Can you volunteer to help on any of these events (or propose others):

a. VIP Tent at Tulsa Tough’s 2020 Cry Baby Hill race (more below),
b. Bake Sales,
c. Cookouts, and
d. Holiday party / Winter Tour of Lights.

Tulsa Tough’s race in our neighborhood will be June 14, 2020, and is approaching fast. This year’s Riverview VIP Tent will be even better. We’ll have our big tent set up right on Cry Baby Hill (13th and Lawton) at which ticket holders receive cool shade, hot bbq and ice cold beer. As always, we’ll sell tickets and neighborhood merchandise. The Riverview cowbells are tested to be louder than anyone else’s, anywhere on the planet. This year, we’ll offer neighbors and businesses the opportunity to show their support for our neighborhood by being VIP Sponsors. Sponsors not only receive public acknowledgment in advertising, press releases and neighborhood promotional materials or signage, but more than that, you’ll have the satisfaction of helping the neighborhood you love.  We’re going to start organizing immediately so the VIP Tent comes off without a hitch. Please come to the next meeting or contact me if you might be interested in helping. PS – Any musicians out there want to lend your talents? Hint Hint Hint.

Anyone up for a 4th of July potluck / cookout or parade for kids, or how about a Halloween pet costume party? My dogs Biggie Smalls and Full Monty are game. Sounds fun. Right?

We’re eager for the new year and really want to meet you. There’s nothing quite like getting to know your neighbors in a new way. Please think of coming out or getting in touch. Rick Eagleton, President. 918-845-0637.

To ring in the new Millennium (as you know, the last one started in the year 1020), we’ll have our first Association meeting of the year at 6:00pm on January 22, 2020, at Baxters Interrurban (7th and Houston). Please join us as we introduce old and new board members, talk about priorities for the new year, and decide other fun stuff, like whether the Cardinals are going to sign any left handed batters in the off season. Now, it’s true that you don’t need baseball knowledge to come to meetings, but if we’re going to have appetizers, the President reserves the right to chat about Spring Training. It keeps me going through the dark months.

We do have some other topics to discuss. If you were able to make it to the very nice Holiday Party at the Spotlight, you will have a preview. If not, I’ll fill you in on the upcoming road construction on Denver Ave. (and some other interior streets in the neighborhood), crime and safety, and of course, our favorite topic, Tulsa Tough. (We may even have some neighborhood merchandise to sell at the meeting.) If we start thinking about the race now, Spring will be here before we know it. After all, if on February 2, our very own groundhog, “Riverview Phil,” thinks he’s coming out of his den to watch a bike race, he won’t bother checking for his shadow and will just stay out to welcome Spring. Yes, another way your faithful Association is looking out for you.

See you at Baxters for some dip and chips. Rick Eagleton, President.

We really want to see our neighbors at this year’s holiday party, Sunday, December 15 at the Spotlight Theatre from 5-7. I’ll give a little brief update about what’s going to happen to Denver Avenue in January, but mostly we’ll chat and meet new friends. Hope you can make it and share a snack or dessert.

Remember Friends, our Neighborhood Holiday Party is this Sunday, 5-7p.m. at our very own, Tulsa Spotlight Theatre. Come enjoy the camaraderie of your neighbors and take a spin through our neighborhood treasure, the Spotlight. You or may not know, but it’s on the National Register of Historic Places, and for good reason. This gem, opened in 1928, was designed by Bruce Goff. Come join us. We’ll have a bit of something to drink and eat, but the fun part is everyone bringing a bit to share. Please do and come meet your neighbors.

Also, I’ll give a summary of what I heard last night at the meeting with City Engineers about the upcoming rehabilitation project for Denver Avenue in our neighborhood. This is important stuff and worth folks knowing more about. Rick Eagleton, President.

If you don’t know, tonight at 6:00p.m., there is a meeting with the City Engineers regarding a large street rehabilitation project. The meeting will be at the Aaronson Auditorium at the Downtown Library. I urge neighbors to attend.

As we understand it, the City is preparing to resurface several streets in our neighborhood: 1) Denver Avenue from Riverside and Denver north to 13th Street; 2) Baltimore from 15th to 18th Streets; 3) 17th and 18th Streets from Baltimore heading East; and 4) 16th Place between Denver Avenue and Carson Avenue. The Ass’n has taken a position with respect to the part of the project, that being Denver Avenue from Riverside north to 13th.

We have heard several complaints that the speed of traffic in that stretch makes bicycle and pedestrian use of this area, particularly crossing Denver Avenue, difficult and dangerous. If it’s unfriendly to normal activity use by families, families will not find our neighborhood as appealing. Several of our neighbors have proposed to City Engineers and our Councilor changes in the design of Denver Avenue which would slow traffic down and encourage commercial growth, specifically moving to three lanes, having a center turn lane, wider sidewalks, and enhanced crossing areas. Think of a small area in our neighborhood similar to the Brookside or Cherry Street commercial districts. Certainly, there would be an aesthetic enhancement, consistent with the historic beauty of our neighborhood.

We believe our neighbors’ suggestions are well reasoned and would tend to encourage individual and family use as well as positive commercial activity in our neighborhood, which, in turn, would assist in resolving the undesirable activity we have seen in just that area over the last several years. In other words, at least from our perspective, we can get a lot of bang for the buck in being creative with this roadwork. Some years ago, our former Councilor told us at a Crime and Safety meeting that our problems would be solved when commercial activity grew in our neighborhood. Well, we think this would tend to help.

Our interaction with the City and it’s professionals has been positive, and our attitude toward them remains positive. We understand they have done traffic analyses, and presumably other analyses; although we really don’t know much about their findings.

It appears the City is preparing to resurface Denver Avenue as it is now, with no changes in design. They may well answer questions as to why tonight. We urge neighbors to come, get information and ask questions. If, after a full discussion, it still seems that a reconfiguration of Denver Avenue makes sense, we urge neighbors to voice their opinions. The City can’t know what we think if we don’t articulate our views.

I look forward to seeing you. Rick Eagleton, President.

Riverview friends and Friends of Riverview friends, your mostly incognito Association Board is at it again planning another riveting Association Meeting for tomorrow night at Baxters Interurban, 7th and Houston at 6:00pm.

Might you ask… Will there be ponies again? You might.

Might you ask… How will he get a ladder truck from Station 4 in Baxter’s conference room again? You might.

Might you ask… If we just keep falling back and never spring forward, in a few years will it be dark all day? And if so, will everyone else (not just me) feel like sleeping all day? You might.

Or you might ask… When are we planning the Association Holiday Party??? Right you would be to ask. We’re doing that tomorrow. I suppose I’ll give an update or two on what’s going on with the City, such as with it’s Downtown Housing Study stuff project webpage, but mostly I’d like to talk about the party.

Instead of all that planning ahead that responsible people do for parties, like checking to make sure Ariana Grande is not in town before picking the date, or getting people to commit to bring food so one or two don’t get stuck with all the cooking, or calling the Treasurer to see if we even have money to do this thing, we’re throwing caution to the wind and winging it tomorrow.

So, you can help save us from ourselves, please come and be involved in planning. It really is a fun event and a great opportunity to meet your neighbors.

Rick Eagleton, President (maybe not for long)

We’re not going to have a meeting tonight, but I wanted to give the neighbors an update on our meetings with city officials about crime and safety issues. As I have mentioned in Association meetings, Our District Councilor, Kara Joy McKee, has been very active in exploring ways to improve our situation. As the Association President and as a neighbor, I very much appreciate her attention and interest. I’ve now had so many meetings and contacts with her and her staff during her short tenure in office that I have lost count. This is good for our neighborhood. When you see her next, I urge you to thank her.

While our work is not done and The Councilor is still actively engaged in our problem, she has secured a change for us which I believe may be the start to improvement. Downtown has a program called “the Public Safety Ambassador” program which, as I understand it, works directly and quickly with businesses and to an extent residents to identify and deal with crime and safety issues as they develop. They are authorized to make some contact with those creating a problem and when appropriate contact law enforcement for immediate assistance. I understand there are four full time Ambassadors who are charged with patrolling designated areas downtown, and their area of attention has now been extended to Riverview. I am learning more about the program and expect to report back to you at our November meeting with details, but right now, it is my intention to contact the Ambassadors and assist them in creating a route which will cover our most obvious trouble spots, such as 13th to 17th and Denver and give them some contact information for some of our most engaged residents.

Feel free to get in touch with me to talk about this more or just come to the November 13th meeting. Again, we very much appreciate Councilor McKee’s attention and interest.

Rick Eagleton, President.