Riverview Neighbors:  Two of our neighbors have reached out to the Riverview Neighborhood Association about the City’s proposed Infill Overlay, which has been approved by the Planning Commission and I am advised it will be presented to the City Council on October 20, 2021, at 5:00 p.m.

As background, on the Planning Commission website, I found the “Purpose and Intent” of the proposed new regulations is as follows:  “The Neighborhood Infill Overlay establishes zoning regulations that are intended to promote the development of alternative infill housing in established neighborhoods.  The overlay allows for a variety of residential housing types in a manner that is compatible, in mass and scale, with the character of surrounding properties.  The regulations are also intended to promote housing types that accommodate households of varying sizes and income levels and provide for a more efficient use of residential land.”   The link to the current form of the proposal, I believe, is:  https://tulsaplanning.org/programs/projects/housing/overlay/.

Our neighbor, Cathy Skalla, contacted the Association asking to reach out to neighbors about the Infill Overlay.  In sum, she reports a representative of the Planning Commission has advised her that with enough objections from residents, the City Council will send the proposal back to the Planning Commission for further review and potential revision.  She asked me to provide her bullet point list summarizing her objections: 

Cathy describes her position as follows: 

I recommend that the Overlay not be passed in its current form but be sent back to the Planning Commission for further review and revision with active input from residents based on these concerns:

  • Only one parking space for every two living units is required, potentially leaving up to 6 vehicles per 4-plex, and up to 12 vehicles per 8 unit building on the street if each unit were to be occupied by 2 people.
  • Reducing lot width from 50ft to 40ft would allow construction to be squeezed onto 4 lots that currently requires the area of 5 lots, while also allowing new builds or to protrude 10 feet closer to the curb and back lot lines than existing structures.

  • The Riverview district already has more than 1174 multi-family living units from duplexes to apartment buildings including owned units with rental unit prices ranging from $425/month; $700-$800, $970-$1150; and $975-$2910 in the newest complex which contains 264 units. 
  • If passed, the new zoning will eliminate any voice residents currently have in determining the composition, appearance, and character of our neighborhood.
  • There is currently a longstanding and equitable process in place citywide which allows for new construction or modifications outside current zoning allowances to be considered on a case by case basis. It allows the residents of the neighborhood to give their input before approval is granted. 
  • The existing zoning does not deny the opportunity for new construction. It does ensure that any such development in the Riverview Historic District is thoughtfully considered with input from the people who live in the neighborhood ensuring that new builds enhance and do not detract from the distinctive character of the diverse architectural styles that give the neighborhood its timeless appeal.”

She can speak more specifically about her concerns to you and welcomes your inquiry.  Her telephone number is (918) 978-7136, and her e-mail is skalcat2@gmail.com.

We also have heard from our neighbor, Kevin Symcox, who can be reached at kevin.symcox@gmail.com or (203) 479-2674. He generally supports the Infill Overlay, stating:  “I think it is a positive thing for the neighborhood.  It needs design guidelines though as currently it lacks any guidance (mostly forcing buildings to face the street vs. side yards).  It increases the value of land and should help spur infill in (some) vacant properties.”

Everyone should seek out information, and both Cathy and Kevin would be good places to start.  Being an informed citizen is key to participating in a vibrant neighborhood.

We very much appreciate the interest all neighbors have in matters affecting the neighborhood; at this time, the Association has not received a sufficient amount of communication from neighbors to take a representative position on this proposal, but we agree that everyone is better served when neighbors become actively involved.  We encourage all to educate themselves on issues affecting us all.

Rick Eagleton, President

This is a reminder that the Riverview Neighborhood Ass’n is sponsoring a Crime and Safety Meeting tonight. It will be outside at the Yard Bar (former Elwoods) 19th and Riverside, at 7pm tonight. The owners of the Yard Bar have graciously agreed to open their facility for us for our meeting (normally they are not open Monday nights). They will have some snacks and a full bar. We encourage attendees to show their appreciation by making some purchases for this Riverview establishment.

As to tonight’s meeting, we are please to announce that our guests will be:

District 4 Councilor Kara Joy McKee:
— tulsacouncil.org/councilors/district-4/
— Dist4tulsacouncil.org
— (918) 596-1924.

Brant Pitchford, Supervisor, Working in Neighborhoods (“WIN”), City of Tulsa:
— cityoftulsa.org/government/departments/working-in-neighborhoods/

Officers Steve Meineke and/or William Badgett, Tulsa Police Department; and

Tyler Parette, Housing Solutions:
–housingsolutionstulsa.org

We thank them all for volunteering their time to discuss this topic of great importance and interest in our neighborhood.

I will come to the meeting with handout showing how residents or neighbors can authorize the Tulsa Police Department to come upon private property when it observes trespassing. Mr. Pitchford can discuss this in more detail.

Also, in the past, we have been reminded that reporting a crime or problem on Facebook or Nexdoor is not an effective means by which to get the attention of law enforcement. I have been provided a Tulsa Police Department website address that lists contact numbers for categories of crimes or problems that may be of use to you. It is: tulsapolice.org/contact-tpd/contact-usphone.aspx. I will also have a print out for these numbers, if anyone would like that.

The Board of the Association looks forward to seeing you tonight and to having a productive meeting. Rick Eagleton, President, Riverview Neighborhood Association. 918-845-0637.

Neighbors, this is a reminder of our request that residents and business owners in the Riverview Historic District attend our upcoming Crime and Safety meeting, to be held next Monday, September 20, 2021, at 7:00pm. It will be an outdoor, in person, meeting at the Yard Bar (Formerly Elwoods) located at 19th and Riverside. In the time of COVID and considering last minute weather concerns, there are always the possibilities of updates, so please check our Facebook page (Riverview Neighborhood Association Tulsa) and www.riverviewtulsa.com for updates. There are tables at Yard Bar, but feel free to bring a lawn chair. The owners of Yard Bar have graciously offered to open on a day which normally they would be closed. They will have limited snacks and drinks available for purchase. We hope you will consider ordering so as to assist them in defraying costs, if you can. They are a business in the Riverview District, so we want to show them our appreciation for their accommodation to us.

As to why we’re holding this meeting, neighbors have seen continued problems since our last meeting on this topic. Some have reported an escalation of vagrancy, trash, trespassing and crime in Riverview. While this is not exclusive to the area around 15th and Denver, that area certainly has a concentrated problem. And we have observed that corner attracts persons traveling throughout our neighborhood engaging in objectionable conduct both at 15th and Denver and throughout our neighborhood. We know our neighborhood remains a desirable place to live and that it is not the only neighborhood in Tulsa having these problems. Even so, when neighbors don’t feel as safe as they should on their own properties, have to deal with trespass, trash, and nuisance and are legitimately concerned about letting their kids play outside, things must improve. Ours is a welcoming, eclectic neighborhood, and this is good. That does not mean we should put up with nonsense, and we want to try to make some progress. To that end, Councilor McKee has graciously agreed to attend and listen, and we understand representatives of Tulsa Police Department will be there. We are also going to hear from Brant Pitchford, with Tulsa’s Working With Neighborhoods (WIN) program, to discuss Code violation enforcement options. WIN’s work can be accessed at https://www.cityoftulsa.org/government/departments/working-in-neighborhoods/

As I have mentioned, it is not our intention to hold an unproductive, gripe session, but just the same, we now need to come up with ideas that make a difference. These problems cannot simply be handled by neighbors on their own. We don’t have the funds or the levers of policy or tools of law enforcement. So, please come with detailed information to help our public officials help us, and, as I say, please be productive. We all do better when government and citizens work together. Let’s do our part and encourage them to do theirs.

So, please set your calendars and make your notes for discussion. And please join as a member of the Association through the drop down menu at riverviewtulsa.com. While neighbors are free to talk at our meetings, members of the Association are those who vote.

Feel free to call, text or email. Rick Eagleton, President 918-845-0637. reagleton@rjeoffices.com

Neighbors, we have been planning on having a feel good, congratulatory meeting on how well Tulsa Tough and Cry Baby Hill went this year, and we’re going to do that, for sure. That said, we have been hearing a lot from neighbors about different types of crime in the neighborhood and concerns over safety. While not an exclusive area of concern, the area at 15th and Denver, simply put, is a problem which must be solved.

We are going to try again with a Crime and Safety meeting to search for constructive solutions. Please calendar Monday, September 20, 2021, at 7:00pm for an outdoor, in person, meeting at the Yard Bar (Formerly Elwoods) located at 19th and Riverside. We’re not positive about seating. You might consider a lawn chair. Tell your neighbors. Let’s get as many voices as we can.

A few years ago, we had a Crime and Safety meeting at which city officials and District 4 candidates as well as law enforcement appeared to hear our comments and concerns and to offer their responses. We are in the process of inviting as many as can attend. At this point, Councilor McKee has been invited and has graciously accepted our invitation. I hope we will see other city officials and law enforcement. I will give other updates as I have them.

It is not our intention to hold an unproductive, gripe session, but just the same, we now need to come up with ideas that make a difference. These problems cannot simply be handled by neighbors on their own. We don’t have the funds or the levers of policy or tools of law enforcement. So, please come with detailed information to help our public officials help us, and, as I say, please be productive. I have no intention of misusing our guests’ time to abuse them. Making someone else feel crummy is not the best way to encourage them to action. We all do better when government and citizens work together. Let’s do our part and encourage them to do theirs.

After the last Crime and Safety meeting, we looked into and tried to organize a Neighborhood Watch program. We received quite a bit of useful information from Karen Gilbert of Crime Stoppers on how to set up a Neighborhood Alert program, but things never could get very far off the ground because we need to train block captains to handle organization within each neighborhood. We had some, but not enough, block captain volunteers. Things may have changed and now there may be more enthusiasm throughout the neighborhood, but we have the idea that we might be able to put Neighborhood Watch in place around hot spots in the neighborhood, such as 15th and Denver. I’d guess we would have volunteers to help out there. Please understand that this is no criticism of neighbors. Ours is a very large neighborhood, with few financial resources. The charm of our neighborhood is in its diversity, but with that, we know folks work a lot, have busy, committed lives, and are dealing with their own circumstances which may prevent them from focusing on issues outside their own lives. That said, if we can help, collectively, we should. We are not suggesting that Neighborhood Watch is a substitute for effective city policy, reallocation of resources or active law enforcement; we’re not going to be vigilantes. We can be good neighbors and good citizens at the same time.

So, please set your calendars and make your notes for discussion. We want to make progress. And please join as a member of the Association. While neighbors are free to talk at our meetings, members of the Association are those who vote. There’s a link on the website for that.

Feel free to call, text or email. Rick Eagleton, President 918-845-0637. reagleton@rjeoffices.com

Thanks to neighbors and to supporters far and wide for making Tulsa Tough and our VIP Tent a great success Sunday. We can’t wait to do it for you again next year. Please let your friends know all of your good experiences and make them promise to come to the tent next year! And now that we’re getting back to normal, please consider joining the Association and coming to meetings. The more participation, the better our neighborhood can be.

Join up right here on this page.

Rick Eagleton, President

Tulsa Tough and Cry Baby Hill in Riverview is just two days away — June 13! Time to get EXCITED, but time is running short to get your admission tickets to the Riverview VIP Tent at Cry Baby Plaza (the triangular park at Riverside Drive and Lawton Avenue). Want shade, fellowship, bbq, beer, merchandize and the best, coolest spot on the course to watch the races, we have it. And you’ll be helping out the neighborhood. For your tickets and merchandise (caps and cowbells) to: https://jupiter.link/ssVdmLa or our website at www.riverviewtulsa.com. Thanks, again, to BadJupiter for setting all this up and to Elgin Park for being so good to us in getting us such good beer…. coldest in town, pinkie promise. Feel free to contact me at reagleton@rjeoffices.com if you have any questions. Rick Eagleton, President.

Want Christmas in July? Even better, we have Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and whatever tickles your fancy in June. June 13 to be specific, from 9am to about 4:30pm. The Riverview VIP Tent is coming to a Cry Baby Hill near you. This year, BBQ will be brought to you by Tulsa’s own, award winning Heavybird BBQ. How does fresh-smoked brisket sound? BBQ bologna? Juicy chicken? Polish sausage? Smokey bacon baked beans? …. well they taste as good as they smell. We just need you to buy your tickets and merchandise to make it all possible.

And today we will announce a winner of our pace car raffle, but I have another announcement, and I’m just busting. Because the neighborhood tries so hard to be welcoming to Tulsa Tough, our friends at Tulsa Tough have given us ANOTHER PACE CAR RIDE to raffle. If you aren’t the winner of today’s drawing, you can still buy raffle tickets for the second one, and raffle tickets purchased before today’s drawing will still get you a chance in the next one. Your odds get better if you buy a few more chances… and what a good cause this is. So, if you’re 18 years or older, just throw on in for a few raffle tickets to have a great ride. You can get your tent tickets, raffle chance tickets, caps, and cowbells at: https://jupiter.link/ssVdmLa or on our website at www.riverviewtulsa.com.

Thanks, again, to BadJupiter for setting all this up and to Elgin Park for being so good to us in getting us such good beer…. coldest in town, pinkie promise.

We also need a few more volunteers for 2hr slots at the Tent from 11 to 5. Please get in touch with Sara Hart at tulsarvna@gmail.com. It really is fun and really nothing to it.

Feel free to contact me at reagleton@rjeoffices.com if you have any questions.

Rick Eagleton, President.

Tulsa Tough through the Riverview neighborhood is almost here — June 13. That means the Riverview VIP Tent is coming together and we just need you to buy your tickets and merchandise! Remember, if you’re 18 years or older, you can also buy a couple of raffle tickets to win a pace car ride. Whoa Nellie! You can get your tickets and merchandise at: https://jupiter.link/ssVdmLa or on our website at www.riverviewtulsa.com. Thanks, again, to BadJupiter for setting all this up and to Elgin Park for being so good to us in getting us good beer. Coldest in town, pinkie promise.
We also need a few more volunteers for 2hr slots at the Tent from 11 to 5. Please get in touch with Sara Hart at tulsarvna@gmail.com. It really is fun and really nothing to it.
Feel free to contact me at reagleton@rjeoffices.com if you have any questions.
Rick Eagleton, President.

The time has come to get excited about June 13 and Tulsa Tough in our neighborhood and sign up!

With the help from our very good friends at BadJupiter, we are up and running to help you purchase VIP Tent tickets ($35-Single / $50 pair). When you purchase a VIP Tent ticket, you’ll get shade (and sun when you want it), bbq, beer and all the fun this wonderful day of racing can bring.  We also have special run, neighborhood logo cowbells and caps you can buy to show your neighborhood spirit.  And for a chance at a really special treat, please enter the raffle for a pace car ride around the track for a whole race. What could be more fun. The link to get your tickets and stuff is https://jupiter.link/ssVdmLa. You don’t have to live in Riverview to buy tickets to the VIP Tent and show your support.  You just need to bring an appetite and be ready for fun!  Get your tickets and merchandise now, because time’s a-wastin’, and we will sell out.

Also, you or your business can be extra special supporters of the neighborhood by considering becoming a sponsor.  We have three different levels. You can see what’s available at our drop down menu. Just click on  “2021 VIP TENT AND SPONSORSHIPS” and you’ll see all the details. Please consider becoming a sponsor.  The Association tries to help and support our residents and businesses, and this is our major fundraiser each year to better help the neighborhood.  Please consider what might be best for you.  The sooner you reserve, the sooner we can start including you in our promotional materials!  For details and questions, please call or text me, Rick Eagleton, at 918-845-0637, or send me an email at this address.

Lastly, we are asking for volunteers to help during the races at the tent.  This is not our first rodeo, so you won’t be asked to reinvent the wheel. We just find it more fun to do with friends.  We’ve been planning this for months, and now it’s just time to get neighbors involved.   Volunteers pretty much do 1 part tasks and have 2 parts fun.  Since the races begin around 8am, access to the tent will be limited, probably around 7am, for safety of the racers. So, our volunteer time slots will start with “Set up and Race Start” from 6am to 9am. The rest of the slots will be two hour slots of 9am to 11am, 11am to 1pm, 1pm to 3pm and “Race end and Clean-up crew” from 3pm to 5pm (and maybe a bit after). We would like to have 3 people signed up for each slot. You’ll do important things like sell tickets, check wristbands, make sure the keg doesn’t float and display and sell cool merchandise and tickets. Sort of low impact duties, mostly. To volunteer, please send an email to Sarah Hart at tulsarvna@gmail.com. If you don’t get a response pretty soon, to make sure we got it, send an email to me at reagleton@rjeoffices.com. We’ll keep folks posted when slots fill.

Lastly, I want to give a shout out here.  If you liked how easy the link above was to buy tickets, BadJupiter might be just the perfect for your needs. They are a mobile platform that helps people discover and share experiences focused around communities and shared interests. They are based here in Tulsa and run by our Association’s former President. Their website is badjupiter.com. We can’t say thank you enough.

Please don’t forget to become a member of the Riverview Association. Click on the link in the drop down box. We’re better when we are many.

Rick Eagleton, President.

Due to difficulties with technology that several people have told me about (I blame Zoom) and the fact that I got last week’s Zoom invite link out late last week (I blame me), the Association will have a second zoom meeting this Thursday about details for this year’s Tulsa Tough through our neighborhood and the neighborhood’s VIP Tent down at Cry Baby Plaza. I won’t repeat what was on the agenda last time, but we’re going to talk about what to expect on June 13 (all day races through our beloved Historic Riverview neighborhood) and what we’re doing down at Cry Baby Hill at our VIP Tent. We’re in the thick of it and want as many neighbors and friends of neighbors to join in the fun as possible.

We will talk about how to buy tickets for the tent, which will get you all the shade, bbq and beer, and cool kid popularity you can handle. And we’ll talk about what merchandise you can purchase to show your spirit for the racers and the neighborhood, and how you or a business can show even more spirit by becoming a sponsor. And here’s a teaser, we’re holding a raffle to ride shotgun in the pace-car for one of the races. Everyone who has ever done this loved it.

Importantly, we’ll also talk about how you can volunteer. We need some help from neighbors putting this on, but it’s not our first rodeo. We won’t have to reinvent the wheel. It’s just more fun to do with friends. Volunteers pretty much do 1 part tasks and have 2 parts fun. Since the races begin around 8am, access to the tent will be limited, probably around 7am, for safety of the racers. So, our volunteer time slots will start with “Set up and Race Start” from 6am to 9am. The rest of the slots will be two hour slots of 9am to 11am, 11am to 1pm, 1pm to 3pm and “Clean up crew” from 3pm to 5pm. We would like to have 3 people signed up for each slot. You’ll do important things like take money, check wristbands, make sure the keg doesn’t float and display and sell cool merchandise and tickets. Sort of low impact duties, mostly. To volunteer, please send an email to Sarah Hart at tulsarvna@gmail.com. If you don’t get a response pretty soon, to make sure we got it, send an email to me at reagleton@rjeoffices.com. We’ll keep folks posted when slots fill.

We really are looking forward to this and are eager for you to help.

One last announcement, we want to give a big shout out to our Treasurer, Ray Luth and his wife, Maryhelen, for volunteering their home for this year’s Tulsa Audubon Society’s Wildlife Habitat Garden Tour. It’s this Saturday. The link for details and how you can join in is:

https://www.tulsaaudubon.org/wildlifehabitatgardentour

Rick Eagleton, President.